18th May 2020
Dear Parents and Carers of children in Reception, Year 1 & Year 6,
As per government instruction, the school may be open to your child from the 1st June 2020.
If the school does open on the 1st June, staff will endeavour to keep all children safe and all adults and pupils will be expected to adhere to the measures detailed in the school’s Covid-19 risk assessment. However, I know that many of you will want to know what the school will look like and what rules the children will have to follow. Here is a list of some of the safeguarding measures the school will implement:
- Children who display coronavirus type symptoms or children who live with someone who has coronavirus will not be able to attend school. Isolation and self-isolation rules will be followed.
- To maintain social distancing and appropriate levels of cleanliness, the school will be open Monday to Thursday and the start and finish times of the school day will be staggered for different year groups.
- Children will use their own entrance for each year group. Parents will not be allowed to enter the school grounds, they will hand their child over to staff at the specified gate.
- Only one parent or carer is permitted to bring their child to school and collect them at the allocated time. If you are late your child will not be able to attend.
- You will have to communicate with staff by telephone and call the office to make an appointment.
- Children will be in groups of 15 with 1 teacher and 1 teaching assistant. The teaching and learning will focus on children’s wellbeing and basic skills. They will be able to come in for four days only. We will review this weekly in line with school numbers and Government guidance.
- Your child may not be with their usual class teacher or with their friends.
- Your child will have to sit in a classroom at their own table – they will have to, where possible, remain 2 metres apart from staff and children. Social distancing rules cannot be guaranteed due to the young age of the children returning.
- Strict hygiene rules will be implemented. Children will frequently wash their hands with soap and water for 20 seconds and dry thoroughly. They will clean their hands on arrival at the setting, before and after eating, and after sneezing or coughing.
- The children will only be allowed to use individually allocated stationery and a small selection of activities and resources.
- The groups of children will have to remain in their groups at all times – school will ensure that lunch and play times are separate. Lunchtime will be reduced to 30 minutes.
- Your child will have to follow the school rules and where possible social distancing rules. If your child repeatedly places staff or children at harm, a risk-assessment will have to be completed. This could result in your child working in isolation, following a part-time timetable or being educated at home.
- All children attending school must bring a packed lunch with them each day.
- If your child receives a free school meal, school will continue to distribute FSM Hampers every Monday.
- Your child will eat their packed lunch in their class with their teachers.
- There will be no before or after-school provision.
- Staff will not wear any PPE – unless for intimate care.
Although the government has said Reception, Year 1 and Year 6 children can return to school, they have also stated that parents will not be fined for non-attendance at this time, and schools and colleges will not be held to account for attendance levels.
You will shortly be receiving a survey from school to ask if you are intending to send your child to school. Please complete the survey by WEDNESDAY 20TH MAY AT 4PM as we need to take your views into consideration in our plans.
I hope this answers many of your questions. I would like to remind you all that these are unprecedented times and we have never experienced anything of this magnitude in our lifetime.
We are working with a lot of unknowns, but we are working to make school as Covid-secure as we possibly can at this time and before this happens, we are assessing every risk to try and keep everyone safe. This is a massive task and we encourage you to continue to support us as we enter this new phase.
As always, if we can support you in any way please get in touch with school:
Telephone: 0113 2456136
Please click here for latest information from the Government about schools re-opening